About Me

My photo
Florida, United States
I am a Hopeful Bride of Christ and I long for the day I can dedicate all of my life to Him. I have been actively discerning religious life for about 4 years now and I have been accepted to enter the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church. I hope to begin formation soon and beg your prayers that my student loans do not keep me from entering. With your help and prayers I hope that my entrance to the SMMC will soon be reality. Rest assured that you are all in my thoughts and prayers - most especially those young men and women discerning their vocations, whether to the religious life, priesthood or married life. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I continue this journey toward Him.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Temptation

Today's gospel and 2nd reading spoke about temptation and the consequences of our sins.  This along with reading of The Way of Perfection reminds me of how often I am tempted and how quickly I fall.

Often when we think of temptation we think of the temptation to steal, commit adultery, temptation to fornicate etc.  However there are other ways to be tempted.  First off, it should be acknowledge that moments of temptation are opportunities to choose whether we trust God or not, whether we want to love him above ourselves.  I am tempted daily not with the opportunity to steal, fornicate or commit adultery but rather with venial sins such as anger, impatience and pride.

Daily I ask the Lord to help me in the virtues and daily I find myself repeating the same sins.  I have cried out to Him in anger and frustration at my inability to "control" myself and to "get a better handle" on my emotions.  What I have failed to realize is that those instances where I respond with impatience, anger and pride I am given the opportunity to grow in the virtues and chose God above myself.  These instances that try my patience are opportunities to rely not on my personal strength but rather on the Lord.  As Jesus prayed to the Father during His agony so too must I learn to pray to the father and lift my voice to Him in supplication.

Often we are tempted to complain about our situations and a perceived lack of good fortune.  This is a perfect opportunity to be thankful and to open our eyes to the many blessings and graces that God continue to grant us.

As we progress through Lent, may we trust more and more in the Lord and may we focus not on our "lack of" things but rather on our many blessings, even those moments of frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment